Monday, February 16, 2009

Chantix- Day 1 (Round 2)...

Well, I'm doing it again. Chantix. I took it it from August through November of 2007 and it worked beautifully, with the exception of some not so pleasant side effects. Needless to say I began smoking again shortly thereafter, but I think I was just not in the right mindset to quit (being depressed over the death of my grandmother).

So here I am , a year and a half later revisiting the subject. I have been talking it up to my friend for a few months, telling her how wonderfully it works for quitting and warning her about the side effects I experienced last time (nausea, fatigue, vivid dreams, and gastric upset). I talked it up to her so much that I went and got a prescription for it myself, which has been floating around in my purse for about 3 months. My friend began taking it last weekend, so I told her I would start this weekend.

I filled the first month of my RX at CVS yesterday for $136 (ouch!). My insurance does not cover it at all- thought I did get a $25 gift card with a coupon from CVS. I took the first pill last night after dinner, and within an hour I already had the telltale stomach discomfort, and the weird feeling in my mouth. I've smoked as many cigarettes as I normally do today, and haven't yet noticed any real urge not to. I also had semi-vivid dreams last night, and pretty scary ones to boot. Vivid dreams is something that I am very sensitive to with this and other drugs that alter that part of your brain (like the patch).

Right now I feel super tired, though I am not sure if it is due to the Chantix or to the disturbances in my sleep last night because of the dreams.

I signed up for their online support program, getquit, which is free when you have a code that comes inside your box. So far it seems like the same old spiel- right down when, where, and why you smoke for 24 hours, then write down all of the reasons you want to quit, etc. I have done everything they recommend so far, though I don't necessarily feel like its going to affect my chances of quitting. I already know why I smoke- addiction and habit.

I'll be taking my second pill tonight after dinner- and I'll let you know how I feel tomorrow.

No comments: